Tuesday, April 10, 2007

TAT - TAT - TATTING


One fine spring's day my wife did say
As in my chair I sat,
There's one thing I must try to learn,
And that is, how to tat.

With her instructor soon she had
A bit of this and that,
And it was not so very long
Until she learned to tat.

And when one day she sat so quiet
I asked "What are you at?"
"Why dear" said she "I thought you knew
That I have learned to tat."

Soon she could ply her shuttle fast
Without an eyelid batting,
But oh the house it was so quiet
While she were at her tatting.

I thought she knew most everything,
As quilting, knitting, matting,
But I found out, it was not so
When my wife started tatting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I love your background history of your grandfather and wish there were more people in this world who felt about the elderly as you did about your grandfather.

The poem is touching as I have never seen a poem written about tatting -- I am a tatter and appreciate your posting this. Thank you so much for sharing this little corner of your life,

Tattycat said...

I love this poem and the tribute to your much beloved grandfather. I, too, was blessed with a wonderful grandfather and your words touch me greatly. I am a tatter and a writer and I can only imagine his reaction to readers all over the world being able to experience his words. What an inspiration he is to us all. Thank you so much for sharing. With your blessing, I will put a link to your site on my blog. I can be reached at http://laurasmuse.blogspot.com

Kelly said...

Interesting site. I stumbled across it on a google search of Newfoundland knitting.... and I realized that we're related. My grandfather was Jack Frampton.

I won't quite make it to the reunion this year, as I'm in the process of moving back to Newfoundland from Ontario.

Thank you for sharing these poems. It's amazing what you find by accident sometimes!

GEORGE ALAN FRAMPTON said...

Thanks, Kelly. I'm astounded at family I've met through my grandfather's poetry site. I like your site ... only wish I could knit. I knit a scarf once, but didn't know how to cast off, so the scarf became about 12 feet long - knit one, pearl two.